Clonard Abbey at Dundalk

While we continue to wait and see if Smiling Eliza will go to Aintree next month, Clonard Abbey went in a 5f race at Dundalk on Friday evening. I was hoping for a bit of consolation as it was the weekend of the Cullentra Stable tours but unfortunately I couldn't join the hundred or so club members visiting the horses at home and then on to Punchestown for the Morgiana Festival.

When Clonard Abbey came out into the parade ring the first thing I noticed was she's quite small. She's still only 2 year old so has a lot of growing to do yet and hopefully the power will come with that. There was only a few of us there from the club. I had my son with me and this was the start of his 4th birthday celebrations but bringing him excluded me from going into the ring to hear what the jockey Declan McDonagh had to say. Gordon wasn't about anyway as Tiger Roll and Bless The Wings were running at Cheltenham.

I think this was only Clonard Abbeys fourth run and there's already been a big improvement, especially coming out of the stalls. She came out of stall 1 first but was soon back in mid division as they sorted themselves out. 5f is only about half a lap of the track and it wasn't long before they were coming round the bend onto the straight and down towards us at the finish. She was never in it, finishing in the blur of the pack but having watched it again it will be interesting to see what she could do over 6 or 7f. Alex reported she was fine after and confirmed what I thought about the performance.

My year in horse racing is now in it's final month and the chat from the stable tours is that Smiling Eliza is still being aimed at Aintree in December. What a finale that would be!











Comments

Popular Posts