Colonel Maximus at Down Royal

The Colonel had another go in a 2m hurdle this time on good to firm ground. Denis O'Regan was the jockey and the club were hoping we'd finally see something from him now the summer is here. If anything he looked worse on better ground. He couldn't handle pace and was off the bridle a long way out before eventually finishing last, miles behind the rest.

Not sure where he goes next as he doesn't seem to go on any ground. Maybe longer distance in jumps or shorter distance on flat or maybe that's the last we'll see of him in the GERC.

Down Royal is my local track and I would have been there to see the race if I hadn't already been going to BBC Biggest Weekend. I was hoping for a great weekend of music, sport and leisure - Colonel Maximus getting a place, Liverpool winning Champions League and then on to Castle Leslie for a family get together. The sporting elements of this perfect weekend let me down but at least the weather stayed good for the concert and the hotel. I got to try horse riding for the first time at Castle Leslie and I appreciate a lot more what the jockeys have to do to stay on board and get these animals racing.


Comments

Popular Posts