Shirleys Gold Well at Down Royal

Shirleys Gold Well had her first run for the club in the rearranged St. Patricks Day meeting which took place on Monday 19th. She was in the last race of the day, a mares flat race. After all the recent snow and high winds, it was actually a really bright, sunny, dry and calm day. Still cold though so not the start of spring yet. I didn't get into the ring before hand as I had my 3 year old son with me and children aren't allowed in the ring. We did get into the owners lounge beforehand which had a nice view of a big screen and the finish line. We saw Davy Russell winning on Mala Beach and Gordon Elliott at the finish line to watch them home. I was wearing my club scarf so was easily identifiable to anyone else from the club who was there. I got talking to a fella from the club called Paul who told me he'd already spoken to Gordon and was told Shirley would hate the heavy ground but he wanted to get a run into her. We did get to see her come out of the stables and into the parade ring. I got talking to Mary again but totally forgot to ask her how the horse was and instead we talked about Cheltenham!

Declan Lavery was on board with a 3lb allowance. He's a new name to me but that's not saying much as my knowledge of Irish racing has only begun. I met Paul again on the way over to watch the race and he said GE said the same thing again about her hating the ground but told Declan to ease her into the race. We took up our place near the finish line but I didn't get to see much of the race live as I was watching my son climbing on picnic tables. We saw them come past at the start and she was at the back then when they came round the corner at the top of the hill I could hear her name being mentioned but wasn't sure where she was. There were 2 horses well off the pace and I hoped she wasn't one of them. As they came flying past us up to the finish, it was the distinctive colours of Gigginstown on the way to yet another win and Shirley came past not long after, last of the main bunch but 8th out of 10 overall.

I watched the race again afterwards and Declan gave her a good ride and did what he was told. She even led briefly down the hill before the finish but when she got there she'd nothing left to keep going. Declan and Gordon were happy with her afterwards and Alex reported she was fine the next day. Hopefully we'll see the best of the horses we've seen so far this year when they get better ground.












Comments

Popular Posts